Team PRG develops high performing climbing athletes in a way that emphasizes fun, fosters a love of the sport, and supports each team member’s personal development. Our coaching team will challenge and encourage your child to come into their own as an independent, responsible, strong, and respectful climber. Our program is designed to help our climbers achieve their goals, and to support climbers socially, mentally, and physically.
Our coaches emphasize the importance of community by creating a fun environment for friendships to develop, and a challenging team environment for youth climbers to excel.
PRG’s Youth Teams
Our program practices as three teams based on age, experience, personal goals, and ability.
Recreation and Development Team: Rec-Dev is a low pressure, fun environment for those who are interested in learning more. Rec-Dev offers more structure and dives more into the fundamentals of climbing.
Competition Team: This program is for the climber who is looking for the next step in the sport. If a climber is on the fence about competition climbing but still wants to be in a more focused environment, this is the place for them. This is a comprehensive program where kids often do choose to participate in competitions but it is not required.
Elite Competition Team: Elite Comp Team is the place to try to be the best competitive climber you can be. If a climber is self-motivated and willing to do what it takes to be the best athlete they can be, this is the place for them. Every member of the team is expected to qualify for USA Climbing Regionals for both bouldering & rope climbing.
All PRG teams are USAC affiliated programs. This provides our climbers the opportunity to compete against each other in their age categories in the three climbing disciplines: Bouldering, Sport Climbing, and Speed Climbing. USA Climbing (USAC) is the governing body of youth climbing competitions in America. Climbing competitions occur according to specific seasons:
- Climbing is a year around sport with competitions taking place from September-July.
- Bouldering qualifiers take place September-January.
- Top rope/Lead qualifiers take place February-June
- Speed qualifiers take place September-June
- Nationals will be held for all disciplines in July.
- Parents receive a FREE Intro Class! PRG would like the parents of team members to be able to belay for their kids on the team. This allows the parents to belay their kids outside of practice and be more involved in their child’s sport.
- Team members will learn to belay and belay for each other.
- Team members who are in age categories that lead climb will learn to lead, all other youth of appropriate ability level will start to lead climb as well.
- Team members will the opportunity to order pro deal priced equipment, and discounted team shirts/hoodies at the start of each season.
- Team members will have access to go on outdoor trips throughout the year with our guide service at discounted rates.
The coaches strongly encourage team members to make all practices possible. While comps and outings are fun, practices and training sessions should be the real motivator for joining and participating in the climbing team. Practices consist of climbing drills, technique and skill building, endurance, core workouts and strength training drills. The kids will be carrying out age appropriate weight lifting to strengthen their prime moving muscles as well as their antagonistic (non-climbing) muscles to prevent injury.